Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Going Green
By no means have I reached tree hugger status, but I am definitely making more of an effort to "go green". In the past few months our family has really made more of an effort to be environmentally sensitive. I just wanted to pass on 2 small things that we have begun doing that may work for you and your family.

The first is the cheap investment in resusable grocery bags. After several grocery trips to Publix I broke down and decided to buy a few of the reusable bags they sell for $1 each. I mean, how easy is that? Now, I will confess that there have been plenty of times that I am checking out and realize that the bags are in my car, but I am getting better. I don't know what it is but I find great satisfaction in walking out with my 3 Publix bags vs. a cart full of plastic. It's a small step, but the least we can do. Not to mention the bags also bring endless hours of entertainment for my kids:
The other thing I have decided to do this holiday season has to do with the ALL the holiday catalogues we get on a daily basis. Seriously, how many times do I need to get the same catalogue or magazine in one months time span? Not to mention they are all selling the same toys! I have decided to collect all of the magazines and catalogues and bring them to a local recycling location. If you live in Kennesaw, Kennesaw Charter School has a dumpster just for newspaper and magazines.(http://www.kennesawcharter.com/)

If you would like to take additional steps to stop your junk mail here is another website to check out: http://www.ecocycle.org/junkmail/index.cfm

No comments: